Clipping & Trimming Tips
General Tips - Clipping Solutions
- The more comfortable you are with clipping, the more relaxed your pet will be and the easier the job will be.
- To give your pet the most positive experience and to get the most out of your clipper, prepare your pet, your tools and the grooming area before you begin.
- Clipping is an important part of keeping your pet hygienic as well as looking good.
- Alternatively, lay a towel down beneath your pet for easy cleaning up.
- Pull the skin tight to prevent pinching and nicking.
- Make sure your pet's coat is clean, completely dry and brushed thoroughly with a quality multi-purpose brush like the Clean & Healthy Combo Brush.
- Never clip into any fold of skin. Clip downward and away from skin folds, holding the skin taut to prevent accidental pinching or nicking.
- Stay calm and relaxed; learning to clip your dog takes practice. Praise them frequently if they’re good. And if you get tired and stressed, you can always take a break.
Product Tips - Nail Trimmer
Keeping nails neat and tidy will be more comfortable for your pet, as well as avoiding unpleasant scratches to your skin or furniture. Here are some tips to bear in mind whilst trimming.
- Place the main part of the trimmer in the palm of your hand, the moveable arm should be controlled by your fingers.
- Hold the paw firmly and gradually clip off the end of the nail. Take care not to cut too close.
- If you do cut too close and cause bleeding, apply pressure to the tip of the nail, or dip the nail in styptic powder
Product Tips - Cordless Nail Filer
Your pet's nails need just as much attention as your own. Follow these nail care tips to make caring for them easy and stress-free
- If you can hear your pet's nails on a wood or tile floor, it's time they had a trim.
- Use the Gentle Paws Nail Trimmer for extra power and safety.
- Push the coat away from the nail to prevent accidental pulling
- Never hold the filer in one place for too long to avoid heat buildup.
Professional Tips - Bathe Before Clipping
Professional Tips - Care When Clipping
Clipping your pet’s coat outdoors will minimize cleanup. Just make sure you have a safe power source handy, and all the tools you need, ideally in a dedicated container like the Advanced Series Clipper Kit.
- When clipping your dog’s head area, follow these important safety precautions: • When cleaning around the muzzle, hold your pet’s mouth closed to prevent licking and protect the tongue from accidental cutting. • Be careful when clipping around the neck area; NEVER clip into any fold of skin. Clip downward along skin folds, holding the skin tight whenever possible to prevent accidental pinching or nicking. Never allow the skin to be fed into the teeth blades.